3. Use Home Heating Equipment Safely
Heating equipment, like space heaters, are involved in 1 of every 6 home fires. Furthermore, 1 in every 5 home fire deaths and half of all fires caused by home heating occur between December and February.
- Make sure to always keep anything that gives off heat at least 3 feet away from flammable materials or items.
- Never plug more than one heating appliance into an outlet.
- Keep portable gas generators outside and away from windows to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning.
- If you have a fireplace, make sure your chimney is checked and cleaned by a professional once a year. Use a metal or glass screen that is large enough to prevent escaping embers.
- Never leave fires (or candles) burning, or heating appliances plugged in, while asleep, in another room, or when you leave your home.