The work of the American Red Cross has not stopped despite the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. We continue to respond to disasters locally and across the country, collect lifesaving blood for patients in local hospitals, assist veterans, military members and their families and ensure our community is prepared for emergencies. See below to learn more about our response to COVID-19.
COVID-19 vaccine for VA eligible beneficiaries:
In times of crisis, the Red Cross is fortunate to witness the best of humanity as people give their time and talent to help those in need. We greatly appreciate the generosity of the public.
1. Give Blood. Right now, the Red Cross has an emergency blood and platelet shortage, as the national blood supply drops to the lowest it’s been at this time of year in more than a decade.
Individuals who have received a COVID-19 vaccine are still eligible to donate blood and platelets. Knowing the name of the manufacturer of the vaccine they receive is important in determining blood donation eligibility.
Each Red Cross blood drive and donation center follows the highest standards of safety and infection control. Also, to ensure the health of employees, volunteers and staff, the Red Cross requires all those at blood drives and blood donation centers wear a face mask regardless of their vaccination status. Additional safety precautions include:
- Enhanced disinfecting of surfaces and equipment
- Providing hand sanitizer for use before entering and throughout the donation appointment
- Following social distancing practices between donors including donor beds, as well as waiting and refreshment areas.
Learn more about donation safety protocols
Find a blood drive near you
2. Volunteer. Disasters do not adhere to social distancing measures and the Red Cross mission to help individuals suffering from a disaster, such as a home fire, must continue to be carried out.
The Red Cross of Northern Ohio currently has an urgent need for volunteers to assist with responding to home fires, floods and other local disasters and provide comfort and support to residents in need.
We also need volunteers to assist at blood drives and to transport lifesaving blood from blood drives and Red Cross distribution facilities to hospitals.
Learn more about opportunities near you and apply
For additional information and to prevent the spread of misinformation, the following organizations are trusted sources for updated information regarding COVID-19:
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
World Health Organization
Ohio Department of Health