Interested in a great summer job or challenging career as a professional lifeguard? Through videos, group discussion and hands-on practice, you’ll learn teamwork, rescue and surveillance skills, First Aid and CPR/AED and other skills you need to work as a professional lifeguard.
Training options feature two core courses—Lifeguarding and Shallow Water Lifeguarding (available in a blended learning format)—plus optional add-on modules, including waterfront skills or waterpark skills modules. Successful completion results in a 2-year certification in Lifeguarding that includes first aid, professional-level CPR and AED in one certificate. Digital certificate available upon successful completion of course.
Prerequisites: Must be at least 15 years old and pass certain swimming requirements
- Traditional in-person course format 25 hours, 20 minutes
- Blended Learning course format 19 hours, 30 minutes in-person/7 hours 30 minutes online (27 hours)
Aquatic Attraction Lifeguarding
- Basic-level course for entry-level participants at pools or attractions with maximum water depth of 3 feet or less
- Aquatic Attraction Lifeguarding includes waterpark module skill
- Course length: 22 hours, 30 minutes (23 hours with optional skill practice session)
Shallow Water Lifeguarding
- Traditional in-person course format 24 hours
- Blended Learning course format 18 hours in-person/7 hours, 30 minutes online (25 hours, 30 minutes)
Optional Add-on Modules
Prerequisite: Certification in a core course is required; however, the module may be taught at the conclusion of a core course.
- Waterfront Skills Module 5 hours, 40 minutes
- Waterpark Skills Module 3 hours, 40 minutes