California CNA Competency Examination
Exam Information and Study Guide
Since 1992, the Competency Evaluation Program (CEP) of the American Red Cross (ARC) in California has tested over 375,000 candidates for skill competency. Candidates are qualified to become a Certified Nurse Assistant (CNA), after receiving a criminal record clearance from the Department of Justice (DOJ), completing training requirements approved by the California Department of Public Health (CDPH), and passing both parts (Skills Test and Written Test) of the Competency Evaluation Exam.
During the Nurse Competency Skills Test, candidates will demonstrate four (4) skills learned from their training program. They will be evaluated based on the demonstration of each skill performed, including how to follow the Six Principles of Care. The Written Test consists of 60 multiple-choice questions with a two-hour time limit. YOU WILL RECEIVE SAME DAY TEST RESULTS.
You Will Want to Know
- The Competency Evaluation - Page 1
- Online and Phone Registration - Page 2
- What to Bring/What Not to Bring to the Exam - Page 3
- Additional Exam Day Information - Page 4
- About Passing Both Parts Of The Exam - Page 5a
- How to Verify Your CNA Certificate Online - Page 5b
- What to Expect During Your Skills Test - Page 6
- The Six Principles of Care - Page 8
- What to Remember During the Skills Test - Page 9
- Opening And Closing Procedures - Page 9a
- Communication with the ResidentPage 10
- Making Corrections During the Skills Test - Page 11
- How to Perform the 24 Skills - Page 12 to 27
- Health and Safety Considerations at the Test Site - Page 28
- Sample Test Questions - Page 29
- Vocabulary List - Page 30
- The Grievance Process - Page 31
CNA Competency Testing Fees - as of January 1st, 2019
Option 1: Skills + Oral Test $125
Option 2: Skills + Written Test $110
Option 3: Skills Re-Test $70
Option 4: Written Re-Test $40
Option 5: Oral Re-Test $55
Rescheduling Fee $50
To find an upcoming test and to register, click here or call the TSC at 1-800-REDCROSS.
Pay by Credit/Debit Card only.
After payment is processed, a confirmation and receipt will be sent to you via e-mail.
CNA/LNA Exam Prep Platform For Nurse Assistant Candidates
American Red Cross Competency Evaluation Program is pleased to offer a test prep platform to help you prepare for the written CNA/LNA/NA State Examination in all states nationwide. This practice test platform was designed to help build your confidence as it aids in identifying areas where you may want to focus your preparation. For more information or to register click here.